Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Tonight We Sang Goodbye to Ted

Tonight about 21 of our Temple choir gathered at Ted Cron’s house to sing goodbye. Ted was a member ot The TM choir for 40 years and now he is dying of ALS. He really wanted to hear the choir once more and we were only too happy to oblige.

Our music director, Teddy, had put together a short set of music – Asher Yatzar/Elohai N’Shamah1; Modeh Ani/Lo Alecha2; Elohai N’tzor; and the 23rd Psalm3 by Bernstein, which is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written. Jennifer jumped right in and did the soprano solo magnificently.

And talk about a joyful noise! I don’t think the choir has ever sounded better. We may not have hit all the notes, but we hit absolutely the right note. When you sing with such emotion, it is awesome and I know Ted felt it. His face shone with joy, tenderness and thanks.

We even did an encore – Od’Cha by Stephen Glass, a wonderfully uplifting praise to God. Then, finally, Yism’chu, version 118A, for which Ted was famous for his schmaltzy but heartfelt solo rendition of the 3rd verse. And, would you believe it? He sang that verse tonight, weakly of course, but recognizably, as we all lowered our voices so he could be heard. And in the background, tears rolled down the face of his wife Suzanne.

Tonight our heavenly music gave us all a glimpse of choir heaven. And, let us hope that someday we’ll all gather again there and Ted will be singing Yism’chu as only he can. Amen.

1 With divine wisdom you have made our bodies,….Source of our health and strength, we give You thanks and praise. The soul that you have given me, O God, is pure! You created it and formed it, breathed it into me, and within me You sustain it.
2 I am grateful to You, living and enduring Sovereign, for restoring my soul to me in compassion. You are faithful beyond measure. You are not required to complete the work, but neither are you at liberty to abstain from it.

3 The Lord is my shepherd;
I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me to water in places of repose;
He renews my life;
He guides me in right paths as befits his name.
Though I walk in a valley overshadowed by death,
I will fear no evil, for You are with me.
Your rod and Your staff—they comfort me.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

WOW! I hope our Monday group can live up to this. Those are some of the choir's very best pieces. A great description of a very moving evening.